BoyntonVillage.co.uk

the web site for the local community of Boynton

Font Size

SCREEN

Cpanel

Boynton Village

Boynton Village

bv_pump

 

 

In the time of Edward the Confessor (1042-1066) the village was known as Bovington.  This became Boynton.  The manor of Bovington was held, when William the Conquer arrived in 1066, by Torchil de Bovington.  Torchil, at this time had over 60 manors which were nearly all in Yorkshire.  In the Domesday Book (1086) it is recorded as Bouintone.  Torchil’s son Bartholomew took the name of Bartholomew de Boynton.
The Boynton family lived in the village until late 15th century when, by marriage, they acquired Barmston.  Later, again by marriage they obtained Burton Agnes, which is the present seat of the Boynton Family.
The Strickland family’s association with Boynton starts after 1542, when William Strickland, son of Roger Strickland of Marske, returned to Yorkshire.  As a young man he had sailed to the New World with Sebastian Cabot, and is credited with bringing the turkey to England.  He bought  the estate at Boynton and had the Norman Manor House rebuilt as Boynton Hall.  This became the seat of his descendants.
William Strickland was elected M.P for Scarborough in 1558.  He was returned again in 1584.
He married Elizabeth Strickland, daughter of Sir Walter Strickland of Sizergh and they had five children. His eldest son Walter became his heir, and his son William was also a M.P. (1640 to 1653 for Hedon and 1654 to 1656 for East Riding), and was created baronet of Boynton in 1641.
Queen Henrietta Maria, wife of Charles I, landed at Bridlington in February 1642.  She stayed at Boynton Hall for two weeks.
Photos copyright of David Croft
The Strickland family continued living at Boynton Hall until the estate was sold in 1950.  The present owners are relatives of the Stricklands and bought the Hall in 1980.
There have been settlements in the valley of the Gypsy Race going back centuries.  Recently there has been two archaeological surveys done on the SSSI sites in the west of the village around the medieval Village of Caythorpe.  Remains have been found dating back several thousand years.  It is hoped to have the findings of these surveys on the web site when they become available.